Wednesday 2 March 2011

A potato challenge

Photographs on this post will be posted as soon as I can work out why posting isn't working!

I love potatoes. I love how versatile they are, how easy it is to cook them and their soft creamy carbohydratiness. I still have fond memories of potato dishes I ate years ago. I remember with fondness the gentle deliciousness of the boiled new potatoes I ate at my sister in laws wedding. I love them so much that sometimes when I'm alone and only have to cook for myself I'll eat a big bowl of boiled potato with just butter and a pinch of salt.

However when I was single I got out of the habit of cooking with potatoes mostly because most of a bag of them would sprout before I'd had chance to use them. Now however because I'm on a tight cooking budget I'm trying to avoid all waste and find cheap ingredients to bulk up my meals, so potatoes are back on my shopping list. I bought a 2.5kg bag today and so far have served them boiled with some quorn fillets, gravy and Yorkshire puddings.



I'm determined that not one potato in this bag will go to waste. So far I'm planning to use them in a carrot soup, cubed and fried and hopefully even bake a few to serve with a chilli. My only concern is that this particular bag of potatoes are supposedly best boiled. Confusingly the bag also says something about potatoes being versatile. 21st Century life is already confusing enough without mixed messages about potatoes.



My plan to make my potatoes last is being aided by my latest purchase from the Lakeland shop in the form of this handy potato bag.



Let the potato challenge commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment