Wednesday 2 May 2012

Why does 'homemaking' seem to belong to the religious right?

Since I decided to become a housewife I have spent a lot of time researching how other housewives live, both for advice on how to run my own home as well as from general nosiness. I have found a wealth of, largely American, blogs dedicated to the subject. Many use the term homemaking which is a phrase I try to avoid as I find it slightly twee and patronising. I find much of the content of these blogs useful both practically in the advice on how to run a home and emotionally in the way they capture the sometimes difficult position of being a housewife in a career driven modern world. In many ways I find these blogs comforting and often feel that the women who write them understand my life. However I have found one thing that they often have in common disturbs me greatly and that is their adherence to what I consider to be extremely right wing political views. It is not uncommon to find aggressively homophobic posts nestled amongst posts about cleaning rostas and child care advice. The authors are big on defending their version of family values against what they see as a threat of increasing rights for homosexuals. Some blogs are also extremely critical of contraception and family planning. Even the milder, less prejudice bloggers often identify themselves as right wing, posting in favour of Republican candidates or their policies. This got me wondering why. Why is it that so called family values are so intrinsically linked with right wing politics? In the UK traditional family values are often seen as the ideological partner of the Conservative party. From what I have seen from coverage of American politics both sides claim family values as a core ideology, yet homemaking, homeschooling and stay at home mothering is dominated by right wing women, at least in the blogosphere. I can't understand how we got to this position. In the UK for example when our modern political parties were forming there was a class divide between them. Very broadly speaking the poorer classes supported left wing parties, the richer the right wing ones. However all classes at the time shared strong family values. Marriage with a wife at home was the norm. So why have we split off in this direction? Are their other women out there who share my apparently mosaic political leanings or am I an anomaly?

No comments:

Post a Comment