Thursday 24 March 2011

Mental Health in the media

It was revealed today that England Cricketer Michael Yardy has flown home from the Cricket World Cup because he is suffering from depression.

According to the BBC he said,

"Leaving at this stage of the World Cup campaign was a very difficult decision to make," the 30-year-old said.


"But I felt it was the only sensible option for me and I wanted to be honest about the reason behind that decision."

I'm deeply saddened that he is suffering from this condition and I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

I also applaud him for being honest about his condition. It's not an easy thing to do, particularly given that he is a man and there is a stigma against revealing mental health issues. Statistics have shown that men are less likely to suffer from depression, but I suspect this may be because men do not often report their symptoms.

For this reason I'm very grateful that he has chosen to reveal his condition. His example may encourage other men to seek help with mental health conditions, or at least feel that they can talk about it.

Well done Sir.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, indeed! That had to be a very tough decision to make - the World Cup is no small potatoes, and to decide to take himself out of it must have been difficult. But, like you I applaud him for this decision. My father has suffered from depression for years, and has never chosen to consistently do anything about it. I agree with you, I think men tend to ignore or sidestep their own mental health issues. Thank you for posting about this - I live in the U.S. and would probably not heard of it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete